Friday, July 2, 2010

What an experience!!!

I'm home and full of mixed feelings tonight as I reflect on our trip to the Root Cellar this week. I'm glad to be home and see the rest of my family, but I know I will miss the people in Portland, from Peggy, the director, to all the kids. It is hard to leave after a week knowing that you've just starting building relationships and trust. I think of Suzanne (16) from Sudan, with two older and one younger sweet sister, Sarah, who confided in me today that her mother had a botched surgery on her right hand in Egypt and cannot use it at all. She and her sisters must take care of the household chores and much more, yet she was always quick to give me a smile and a hug. I am one of four girls and could relate much to her talk of her sisters. She was in line today with her sister Sulam to get food for the week at the food distribution. I was responsible for guiding the recipients to select one item from a variety of random boxed or canned foods and one bag of bagels. I saw Sudanese, Somali, Iraqi, Vietnamese, and American born caucasians to name a few from this mixed neighborhood.

I told Peggy and the kids in the neighborhood that the Quinlans will be coming back for a day this summer to bring clothing and other items to the Root Cellar and that we would walk down into the neighborhood to say hello and spend time with the kids there. My kids can't wait to go back, and I expect we will be going back next year, Lord willing.

We were all truly moved by this experience and are thankful for the opportunity to serve the Lord in this way. Part of our hearts will stay in Maine, that's for sure!

Lynne