Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Our first two days at the Root Cellar


These last two days at the root cellar have been amazing but somewhat chaotic at the same time. When we got here yesturday, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. Right away we got to work setting up all the props and preparing all the games and crafts for our first day of VBS. When we were ready to begin we went down the hill and gathered up some kids to come. My first impression of the kids here was that they are very friendly and adorable.

All were immediatly asking for piggy back rides and I could see that they were grateful for the attention we gave them.


The first day of VBS was interesting. I could tell that the kids were not used to sitting so long for a story and it got a little chaotic, but alltogether it was a fun time. Later that afternoon we visited the park and I enjoyed getting to know the kids, playing with the water balloons and handing out drinks and food.


Today VBS ran much more smoothly and I got to paint a lot of kids' faces ( almost all of them wanted celtics themed face paint, even the little girls) Afterwards we helped out with the kids' service project which was cleaning up an elderly man's backyard. It touched me to see how the kids were so eager to help and how the root cellar is encouraging them to help other people in need.


~Emma